Thursday, April 19, 2007

About roundabouts and comfort rooms

Lawrence of Arabia is responsible for the engineering and thee architectural designs of what we now call the city of Jeddah.

Since Lawrence was busy figuring out who he really was in the desert the construction of roundabouts got messed up in the sense that the Saudis didn’t know they shouldn’t put traffic lights in them. Today I suffer the consequences of Lawrence’s bipolarity because I have to listen to my father Cuss and curse about traffic lights in roundabouts every morning. And boy is Jeddah full of them.

There is dawwar Al-falak- its supposed to be a representation of an orbit with planets inside it but since its half an orbit it looks like a horse shoe and I personally call it “the fallopian tube”

Dawwar Al-Darraja- “ the bicycle” – it is so big that my dad says it used to be Noah’s ( coz people were big those days) and there is a spare tire just beside it.

Dawwar al -??- I don’t even know what its called in Arabic but I call it “dead chicken” roundabout. By now you get that dawwar means roundabout right? Anyway dead chicken coz its like a boat with like oval sails on the sides and two poles sticking out behind each sail and at the end of the poles there is a small crescent and it just looks to me like a dead chicken on its back with its legs up claws and all.

And there is dawwar al Moj- “the wave” , I say it looks like a snails head, my mom says it’s a an octopus with one of its tentacles reaching out but someone actually said they called it “the clit” coz from the backside “ the back of the octopus and the neck of the snail it does look like err..”

Then there is the camel, the fist, the rocket, the shell, the fish, the steel, the history, the stallion , the fountain, the globe, the clam, the lanterns, the cars smashed in a block, lol the water purification system tahlia ( mini representation lol ) etc.

Anywayyyyyyyyy… enough dawwars.

Did you know that in the bathrooms like the sign of male is a guy wearing a thob right? Which is like a dress and if u didn’t know Saudi and u were a woman you’d go into the males CR wont ya?
Same goes to the ladies room. The abaya on the head and the shapeless figure in the sign looks like a man wearing a “ghotra” headdress and a man can easily go into the ladies room especially if he was a badoo who can’t read? Right?

Sigh… I love Saudi

1 comment:

That Woman said...

Girl! I sense frustration! I don't blame you, since you're back in good 'ol Jeddah