Monday, December 11, 2006

From That Woman: Saudi is small..

The world is small..


We always say that, it's more like our motto in life, but when one lives in Saudi Arabia, you should really be aware what small means.. small is more of "Really really really Small"

It's both scary and nice at the same time. I've always realized and understood how everything is irrelevantly and relevantly related here, If I went out in public with some friends, in a week my parents would hear about it from their friends and if I was covering my hair or not.
If I attended a wedding, I'd hear the next day the feed back of my friend's fourth cousin who told her boyfriend's sister about the bride's dress or maybe even my dress!
It's seriously hectic, and sometimes it's really tough, for women like me; who wants to be "That Woman".

Today, I realize that this is not a joke, and how that personal relationships and even friendships are very hard to establish. It's very hard to just be yourself.

Breaking Question: "Should personal relationships, societies and families be integrated to that extreme extent? I wonder where is privacy? Peace? and just enjoying the simple things in life?"

If you slip once, the entire town talks about it, your family will be extremely disappointed and frustrated because actually, you didn't ruin your reputation alone, you took them down the drain with you. You are not responsible only for your actions, your family is responsible, your friends, your neighbors, everything is centralized, there is no decentralization in the Saudi Society.
If you chose to marry a man, you won't actually marry a man, you'll marry his entire family, and the entire society with him.

Being a woman is a full time job, we want to have it all, and we strive for the best; for perfection, we want: perfect bodies, perfect wardrobes, perfect grades, perfect husbands, perfect families.. everything has to be perfect, OR... The really really small society will start talking about you. & well we came to realize that they'll talk about you any way, so don't try hard to please.

3 comments:

My head said...

" That woman "

do i know you ? :-) lol , kidding , u know as u said saudi is very very very small , so we might know each other right ?
Anyways , my dear woman , yes saudi is small , yes to each and everword u said , yes for the whole thing , i totaly agree with u .

post more , and thank u for the visit .

My head said...

One question :

Why did u pick one of Gustav climt paintings as ur photo ?

xihua said...

lol Thats not only Saudi, its a lot of Asian & Middle Eastern cultures.

Guess ppl got nothing better to do lol